The term telemedicine comes from the mixture of a Greek word “Tele,” significance “distance” along with a Latin word “mederi” significance “to heal”. Distance is a restriction for individuals residing in remote areas to access timely, good-quality health care. Telemedicine tries to overcome this restriction by bridging this gap between the patient and healthcare provider. The World Health Organization defines Telemedicine as, “The delivery of healthcare services, where space is a critical factor, by all healthcare professionals utilizing information and communication technologies for the exchange of legal information for the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease and injuries, research and evaluation, and to the ongoing education of healthcare providers, all in the interests of progressing the health of individuals and their communities”. By way of example, a patient or a health care provider, or caregiver can use a wireless phone to automatically upload vital signs and send it in to a remote monitoring center. Telemedicine was one of the initial technologies which enhanced the spread of healthcare services wherein regions that were considered inaccessible initially were also able to access healthcare facilities. Learn more here.
Telemedicine is a means to reduce costs at precisely the same time providing consumers with the convenience they want like reduced traveling time, fewer hardships. It simplifies the current problems like lack of qualified caregivers. The communication technology has advanced to a degree where doctors can offer great digital consultations.
The rising popularity of TeleMedicine Technology is changing every business including Healthcare. Modern information and communication technologies (ICTs), like computers, the Internet, and mobile phones, are transforming how individuals communicate with one another, exchange and seek information, and enriching people’s lifestyles. It has great potential to address global health care problems. Check this website to know more.
A few factors That Have created the widespread adoption of TeleMedicine possible are:
- The availability of High-speed internet access and cell phone.
- People already have computers and smartphones using which they access the internet and are utilizing telecommunication technology in various contexts.
- It provides efficient and cost-effective care to older patients that require more care compared to the younger generation.
Different types of TeleMedicine
The Custom of TeleMedicine is divided into three types of solutions:
- Shop and forward – This is also called asynchronous TeleMedicine. It is a method where the patient’s health information such as imaging reports, diagnostic reports, videos, and other documents are stored and forwarded to medical care professionals for remote evaluation of an individual’s ailment. In this method, medical care professionals may assess the patient’s information effectively at a convenient moment. In this solution, a medical professional can be in a different timezone. This remedy is applied in radiology, dermatology, and ophthalmology.
- Remote monitoring (Telemonitoring) clinical measurements of patients can be tracked in the distance. This is beneficial for elderly patients at home who’ve illness persisting for quite a while like heart disease, diabetes, and even asthma.
- Live Interactive or Actual Time TeleMedicine – Synchronous TeleMedicine Video conferencing facility gives physicians to provide immediate guidance to patients that require medical care. It’s helpful in primary care and followup visits. These technologies utilized in TeleMedicine are designed to safeguard patients privacy and follows HIPAA(Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) standards.
TeleMedicine Technology Overview The Principle element of TeleMedicine are:
- Equipment – Telemedicine systems catch voice and image data
- Transmission Procedure or Connectivity
1. Equipment – TeleMedicine Components
- Room Systems with viewing screen and microphone are stationed in space. They are used for continuing education, medical treatment, and administrative meetings.
- Mobile Systems have small footprints and maybe moved. Telemedicine components which can be moved to different places
- Desktop Systems – Little units which can be placed in the clinician’s office
2. Equipment -Principal Common Components
- Camera is used for clinicians to observe that the patients and sufferers see the clinicians.
- Viewing Display – Occasionally multiple displays can be found so that the healthcare providers can view the patients in addition to the diagnostic reports along with other clinical information.
- Microphone enables clinicians and patients to talk to one another.
- Codec – Coding, and decoding. It is the center of the system. This compresses the incoming audio and video data and transmits the information to the far end decompress the incoming information. Additionally, it supplies security encryption.
Scopes and Peripherals
Use of peripheral equipment such as technical cameras and diagnostic stoves.
An expert can analyze without needing to be in precisely the same site. General use of cameras allows the dermatologist to observe the skins. ENT specialist uses Otoscope to view the interior of the individual’s ears. The stethoscope enables listening to heart and lung Seems. Non-mydriatic cameras allow capturing the retinal images in case of Diabetic Retinopathy screenings
2. Transmission method or Connectivity The network is essential to establish a connection between locations and transmit clinical information. Telemedicine equipment has to be linked together for discussion.
Top TeleMedicine Specialities
- TeleMedicine can be applied to any specialization. It may be said as a digital hospital.
- Teleradiology – Obtain a consultation on an individual’s health condition by sending x-rays and health records securely to a radiologist at a different location.
- Teleophthalmology – Examines a patient’s eyes and provides treatment from a distance.
- Teledermatology – Pictures of skin or rash disease are shipped for remote diagnosis. 80 percent of dermatology cases involving migraines are resolved by TeleMedicine.
Benefits of TeleMedicine
- Elderly people with chronic illness could be treated by doctors miles away without leaving their Eldercare facility.
- An employee who becomes ill or injured within an oil well who is 100s of miles from land can be treated by doctors remotely through TeleMedicine.
- Video conferencing facility helps medical practitioner interact with the individual almost immediately with a reduction in cost and increase convenience.
- Patients can be seen sooner by physicians for treatment.
- The price of patients traveling into the hospital and waiting time is drastically reduced.
- Expert Medical advice, one on one appointment, 2nd opinion, online medical record.
- It protects one’s solitude and from the comfort of your house.
- Patient Health documents are kept securely following the HIPAA standards.
- Patients may be diagnosed and treated before which contributes to improved outcomes and inexpensive remedies.
TeleMedicine offers extraordinary potential for delivering faster, better, less costly, and more convenient maintenance. Since the TeleMedicine sector evolves and expands, it offers enormous opportunities for the health care profession, particularly in its capacity to reach, engage, and improve the health of patients that might otherwise not have access to maintenance.
Telemedicine is the answer to the question of solving the issue of inaccessibility to healthcare centers. With proper execution, it may serve multiple functions along with specialized or basic healthcare services. Recent improvements in the field of information technology have improved the quality of the telemedicine services and also reduced the related costs to an excellent extent. However, concerns about the protection of patient data, or becoming completely determined by such services are being increased about telemedicine. Nevertheless, judicious use of this health technology may save yourself a good deal more lives than previously and reduce the healthcare costs to a fantastic extent.